The City of Grand Blanc is located in southeast Genesee County 10 miles south of Flint and 60 miles north of Detroit. The City occupies an area of approximately four (4) square miles. Current population, as determined by the 2010 U.S. Census, is 8,276. Previous census counts are as follows: 1980 – 6,848,1990 – 7,760, and 2000 – 8,242.
“Grand Blanc“, which literally means “Great White”, was originally settled by Chippewa Indians. French traders arrived before 1800 and gave the town its name. By 1823, pioneer families began setting up trading posts and settling on the abundant farmland which sold for $1.25 an acre. The railroad added more work and growth to the small community in 1862. The village of Grand Blanc was the first in the state to consolidate its schools in 1904. Grand Blanc adopted its City Charter on March 4, 1930.
The City is currently served by an appointed City Manager, an elected Mayor and six (6) elected Council Members.”